Among deadlifters, former World IPF Champion Jon Kuc, in the 242 lb class, has had few peers. The fact is, Jon Kuc still holds the World IPF 242 lb DL Record (395 kg/ 870 lbs) set on November 9th, 1980. The training schedule to get to that 870 lb effort is quite simple.
It's essentially a 16 week cycle, split into two 8 week cycles. On one day per week DL Starts are performed standing on platform. Then DL Rack Lockouts are done after the DL Starts.
On a second day of the week Regular Contest Style DL are performed. In my opinion this is a very effective DL routine. I've used it myself with good results. Below is the exact percent schedule I calculated from an old article that was published in PLUSA.
Good luck with your training. JVA
JOHN KUC'S DEADLIFT PROGRAM (PER CENT CHART)
DL Starts DL lock outs Reg DL's
1. .63X4, .53X4X3 (.65X6, .85X4, .95X4, 1.00X4X3) .65X6, .80X4X4
2. .63X4, .55X4X3 (.65X6, .85X4, .95X4, 1.03X4X2) .65X6, .80X4, .81X4X3
3. .63X4, .75X4, .79X4X3 (.65X6, .85X4, .95X4, 1.06X4X2) .65X6, .80X4, .83X4X3
4. .63X4, .75X4, .79X4, .81X4 (.65X6, .85X4, .95X4, 1.05X4, 1.09X4) .65X6, .80X4,
5. .63X4, .75X4, .79X4 (.65X6, .85X4, .95X4, 1.05X4) .65X6, .80X4X4
6. .63X4, .75X4, .81X4, .83X4 (.65X6, .85X4, .95X4, 1.05X4, 1.12X4) .65X6, .80X4,
7. .63X4, .75X4, .81X4, .85X4 (.65X6, .85X4, .95X4, 1.06X4, 1.16X4) .65X6, .80X4,
.83X4, .88X4, .92X4, .90X4
8. .63X4, .75X4, .81X4, .87X4 (.65X6, .80X4, .95X4, 1.07X4 1.07X4,1.20X4) .65X6,
9. No DL workout on First Day. (TRY LIMIT SINGLE DL on second day- .65X6, .80X4,
.92X1, 1.03X1, .80X4*)
(REGULAR DEADLIFTS ONLY, ONCE PER WEEK, AFTER A 9TH WEEK TRYOUT)
10. .63X6, .77X4, .82X4X3
11. .63X6, .77X4, .84X4X3
12. .63X6, .77X4, .87X4X3
13. .63X6, .77X4, .85X4, .89X4, .87X4
14. .63X6, .77X4, .85X4, .90X4, .87X4
15. .63X6, .77X4, .85X4, .92X4, .87X4
16. .63X6, .77X4, .87X4
17. (LIMIT DL IN CONTEST) work up to 1.03 of previous best
* Designates new PR set the 9th week.
TO THE CABLE/ BAR GUY'S HOME PAGE
TO DEAD LIFTING Part 1